Elementary School Children Head Back to School with New School Supplies
To kick off the new school year, Miller-Valentine Group Associates in both the Dayton and Cincinnati offices came together recently to pack a total of 300 school bags for underprivileged elementary school children in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. This is the 3rd year that Miller-Valentine Group co-sponsored this community service event with Caring Partners International (CPI).
CPI is a non-profit organization that not only sends medical supplies and volunteer care teams on medical mission trips around the world, they also successfully created and launched a care program focused on southwest Ohio which provides healthcare supplies and personal hygiene products to the neediest in those communities. CPI works to equip local organizations (churches, drop-in centers, halfway houses, food banks) in meeting community needs. Of the 300 backpacks, 220 were provided to CPI’s network.
This year, Miller-Valentine also provided 80 backpacks to elementary school age children at three of their Property Management’s affordable housing communities: Summit Pointe in Lawrenceburg, IN, Residences at Eagles Point in Eaton, Ohio and Mallard Glen in Amelia, OH.
Miller-Valentine Group purchased 300 backpacks and classroom necessities, and Miller-Valentine business partners joined the effort by providing additional items to fill the bags:
- Staples (office supply vendor) donated school supplies (loose leaf paper, glue sticks, highlighters, pencils, and erasers)
- Caring Partners donated personal care items (shampoo, toothpaste, fluoride rinse, sunscreen, lip balm
- Lincoln Financial (Miller-Valentine dental insurance provider) provided 300 toothbrushes and dental floss
Caring Partners distributed the care bags to the following groups:
- Joshua’s Place, South Lebanon, Ohio
- Cincinnati, Ohio area Elementary schools in Avondale and Walnut Hills
- Trenton, Ohio area Edgewood Middle School
- Kiser Middle School, Dayton Public Schools
- Hamilton Public Schools
- Middletown Public Schools
- YMCA, Little Miami School District
- Northmont/Englewood area of Dayton, Ohio through the Northmont F.I.S.H. (Friends in Service for Humanity) program
According to Richard J. Lalli, Director of Ministry Development, Caring Partners International, “Miller- Valentine is making a huge impact in our local communities. We appreciate all you do…such a blessing!”
In addition to care bags, a raffle was held with the proceeds, $360 donated to CPI to help cover their cost of the personal care items.
This effort was coordinated by the Miller-Valentine Group Helping Hands Committee, providing opportunities for Miller-Valentine Associates to engage in community service.